Mertzig / Luxembourg


A Brief History of Mertzig

In 842 the name Mertzig (Martiaco) appeared for the first time in an official document.

In 893 the name Feulen (Fulina) was mentioned for the first time in an official document.

In 15th century Niedermertzig was part of the parish of Feulen. However Obermertzig was part of the parish of Feulen as well as the parish of Bous (Grosbous).This changed ever year on June 24th.

As a consequence of this division, the history of the church of Niedermertzig was very quiet when compared with that of Obermertzig, where lots of quarrels and lawsuits occured with Bous and Feulen until the foundation of the parish Mertzig in the year 1804.

In 1733 the Chapel of Niedermertzig was built.

In 1766 the following families lived in Obermertzig: Johann Calmus - Martin Kalmes - Johann Ditger - Peter Elcheroth, the miller - Nikolaus Frantz - Karl Flammang - Johann Gengler- Matthias Haber -Michel Kripst - Rochus Kremers - Michel Krips - Bernhard Ney - Heinrich Olsem - Heinrich Risch - Jakob Schwiel - Heinrich Thill - Jakob Wagener, the shoemaker - Peter Zwollen, the vicar

In 1766 the following families lived in Niedermertzig: Peter Frantz - Johan Greten - Nikolaus Goeders - Matthias Henth - Nikolaus Hirtzig - Johann Helbes - Johann Korens - Johann Georg Kugeler ( from Tirol/Austria) - Thilman Kraus - Jakob Langen - Christoph Leider -Michel Mersch - Matthias Molitor - Johann Schiben - the widow Bruckers - Peter Tiltgen - Johann Peter Thilges - Anton Wachter (the stone mason from Tirol/Austria) - Peter Weyland alias Koob - Konrath Walch ( from Tirol/Austria).

In August 1782 Obermertzig was integrated into the parish of Feulen. Eastern 1783 the people of Obermertzig protested against this integration by not assisting the church service in Feulen.

In 1804 the parish of Mertzig was founded.

In 1848 the Church of Mertzig was built.

In 1875 Mertzig became a selfgoverned township. Before 1875 it was a part of Feulen.

 

The Population of Mertzig in Numbers:

1821

1851

1871

1880

1890

1900

1910

1922

1930

1935

1947

1960

1966

1970

1981

1991

1994

1997

576

1052

1106

952

879

826

807

817

757

705

702

746

753

814

920

1034

1175

In the nineteenth century the up and down of the population of Mertzig was closely linked to the up and down of the quarries around Mertzig.

 

The family of Ottelé Pierre (Peter) (*~1724; + 13? Dez. 1804) from Mertzig

 

A photographic presentation of Mertzig


Mertzig: The Church built in 1848


Mertzig: The Town Hall (front side)


Mertzig: The Town Hall (back side)


Monument remembering the former stone quarries of Mertzig "Maerzeger Steekaulen"


The Chapel of Niedermertzig (built in 1733)


Obermertzig: aerial view


Niedermertzig: aerial view

Created by jmo
Last modification: July 30 2006